on Tuesday formally defected from the Democratic Party. “I voted for
” he said on
referring to the Republican candidate who flipped a Democratic House district in South Texas. “First time I ever voted Republican,” Mr. Musk added.
Yet is his political evolution any surprise? The man desires to fly to Mars, however take a look at the federal government’s purple tape. The Federal Aviation Administration this week issued an environmental evaluation of SpaceX’s plan to launch its Starship rocket from Boca Chica, Texas. The 40-page doc outlines dozens of required mitigation measures, together with:
• “Preparing a historical context report (i.e., historical narrative) of the historic events and activities of the Mexican War (1846-1848) and the Civil War (1861-1865) that took place in the geographic area.”
• “Funding the development and production of five interpretive signs (in English and Spanish) that describe the history and significance of the historic properties.”
• “Make an annual contribution of $5,000 to the Friends of Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge Adopt-an-Ocelot Program.”
• “Provide $5,000 annually to enhance the existing TPWD Tackle Loaner Program. This funding may be used to purchase fishing equipment (rods, reels, and tackle boxes with hooks, sinkers, and bobbers) for use at existing, heavily visited sites and/or allow the program to expand.”
• “Provide enhanced satellite monitoring via solar powered Starlink for remote wildlife viewing opportunities.”
• “A qualified biologist will conduct lighting inspections to eliminate unnecessary lighting before nesting season and weekly during the nesting-hatching season (March 15th to October 1st) and send the results of the inspections to the FAA.”
We like sea turtles, falcons and jaguarundis as a lot as the subsequent man, and cheap steps to guard America’s pure belongings are warranted. But with a doc like this, good luck to the SpaceX compliance crew. The authorities provides no indication it understands that somebody truly has to pay these historians to put in writing a guide report in regards to the Mexican War.
Elon Musk can afford it, however how in regards to the startups that by no means get off the bottom? It’s onerous to think about the aggregated value of this rigmarole, unfold throughout the entire economic system. The Hoover Dam went from laws to ribbon chopping in eight years. These days it will possibly take longer than that to get by means of planning for just a few miles of Interstate freeway.
Copyright ©2022 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Appeared within the June 17, 2022, print version.